Sunday, December 18, 2005

Original Sin

Hello..

Yesterday was my dad’s birthday (16th Dec) and to celebrate, we went to a restaurant at Holland Village, called ‘Original Sin’. A very cozy and warm place to be. The lightings inside were really low and dark and we sat right in front of the place where the food was served. The place served Mediterranean cuisine and it was catered to vegetarians, although non-vegetarians can certainly enjoy the food too.

We ate a whole lot, it started off with pita bread with an assortment of Mediterranean dips, such as Hummus and some other dips, if I’m not wrong, there were about 5-6 different sort of dips.

This was followed by Magic Mushroom as shown below.

This is really really nice. It was baked on top of a Portobello mushroom which is ‘stuffed with ricotta cheese, rocket, garlic and pine nuts, draped in a tomato basil sauce and mozzarella cheese.’

If you’re a cheese fan like me, you would probably be able to finish one off by yourself, if not, share. I shared this with 4 persons and the cheese wasn’t too overwhelming.

Then we had Bosco Misto. Which is made of ‘Mouth-watering spinach, feta and tofu patties smothered in a mushroom ragout marbled with a delectable plum sauce.’ However, I found this a little too salty to my taste buds, and I think this was caused by the feta cheese. So this is almost a definite must share dish.

We also tried the Capri which is ‘Vegetable skewers lanced with Portobello mushroom, eggplant, Spanish onion and zucchini, served with a tomato basil sauce and garlic infused potato puree.’ This tasted really good, however, I only got to try the mushroom which was delightful as it was plumb and juicy and had a little crispy texture on the top. The onions were also really sweet and tender yet still retaining its crunchiness.

We also tried the Pasta Porcini as shown below.


This was creamy and the fettuccine was cooked to perfection. ‘Fettuccine pasta with a combination of porcini and button mushrooms, sautéed with white wine, fresh thyme, parsley and a touch of cream, topped with shaved parmesan.’ Very nice, we actually shared 2 plates of this. Although, the dish wasn’t piping hot when served and so the parmesan shavings didn’t melt and for those who are not too keen on cheeses, biting into a shaving may not be too welcomed.

We also tried the Lasagna. It was ok to me, nothing too fantastic, but my little sister loved it. The Lasagna had ‘Delectable layers of sautéed button mushroom, spinach, onion, zucchini, red capsicum, tomato and fresh basil topped with a béchamel sauce.’

We also had a pizza that my little brother chose, The Funghi Pizza, as shown below.

It had ‘Marinated Portobello and button mushroom with fresh asparagus, smoked cheddar and bocconcini cheese.’ It was nice and the crust was not too thick and not too thin, just the right thickness. However, it wasn’t something that hit my taste buds off my tongue. It was like the Lasagna. Nice, but not fantastic.

As we were still hungry, my mum ordered a Pasta Broccollini. Which only the adults liked and my little sister. It was an all vegetable dish, cooked in ‘Aglio olio style spaghetti tossed with baby broccoli, asparagus, artichoke, fava beans, green peas, onion, rocket pesto, chilli and parmesan.’ I didn’t even wanted to try it. Too veggie for me. HaHa.

We ended it with a Chocolate Mud Cake with real vanilla ice cream, this could be seen as the ice cream was not purely white and was dotted with black dots, an apparent indication that it was made with vanilla pods which are really expensive in Phoon Huat. The ice cream was good, the mud cake, a little too chocolately for me, bearing in mind that I’m not a chocolate and sweet lover.

A point to note, whenever I go to these sorts of restaurants, I also drink ice water, other then my parents who drank beer that nice. Victoria Bitter to be exact. I think ice water is the best, it keeps your mouth free of any other taste that could interfere with the real taste of the different tastes in your mouth.

I would return, because of the wonderful magic mushroom and because I wish to taste the other dishes they have to offer. I have not tried any risotto at all yet. I must try it the next time I go.

The dishes are priced as in normal restaurants, about twenty odd per dish. Not too expensive, just about the normal price expected.

No comments: